Monday, November 21, 2005

Monday, Monday

Gitta's been mad at me since last week. I was late to a lesson with her because I had forgotten about it/not written it down. She used it as proof that I don't care about her. Then she threw a bomb in my lap: she said that she had talked to my 9th grade friends and they weren't going to come to the Green Club anymore because it isn't fun. I was devastated.

But I am proud to report that the Green Club, after a two-week hiatus is back in full strength! Today we played Super Twister Scrabble Version with Bell and American Money. Pretty good fun. Next week they want to try American football. I will have to buy two loaves of bread and let them go stale.

One 9th grader came in with a white stain on his winter hat today. He was angry. He looked at me and said, "A fucking bird shit on my hat!" There's no way I could be angry, it was the cutest thing ever. And a perfectly constructed English sentence!

And American holidays make for good English lessons. Today was all about tracing-the-hand-and-adding-a-couple-more-features-until-you-get-a-turkey, even in three German classes. Thank goodness for Thanksgiving! Kids are struggling with the difference between "I am thankful FOR..." and "I am thankful THAT..." Perhaps I was ambitious to introduce the concept.

Question of the Day - Leave a Comment!:

WHAT ARE YOU THANKFUL FOR THIS THANKSGIVING?

8 Comments:

At 12:41 PM, Blogger jeremy said...

i am thankful for people that leave comments! (seriously.) it in some small, insignificant manner makes me feel validated and alive.

happy thanksgiving.

 
At 7:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so proud that your students are learning propper english. WAY TO GO

 
At 12:31 AM, Blogger OlympicTrekker said...

I am thankful for the peace and serenity in my life (wishing every person every where could relish the same). I am thankful for persons like you who give so unselfishly to others. I am thankful for an awsome family and wonderful friends who make life so rich. I am thankful you share your gifts with language with all of us (it is fascinating reading). I am thankful I can pig out on turkey tomorrow! Happy Thanksgiving -- the best American holiday.

 
At 3:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am thankful you split all that wood last year.

Got a new wood burning stove in the living room!

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Emily said...

I am thankful for (after family, friends, health, and silly stuff like that): hot water. Hot dish water, hot drinks, and hot showers. For my extended list, I refer you to my blog.

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger bmo said...

for smiles and family. Cool autumn days, cold winter nights, and wine around a fire. Soft fuzzy blankets. Love.

and that thanksgiving marks the beginning of basketball season.

 
At 2:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm thankful I don't live by brad who sounds a little too romantic for my blood...
all except for that basketball comment. Rock on...
ps. Brad = BMo?

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger sara said...

I am thankful for your Thanksgiving lesson plan which I am stealing!

(how nice it is to read a blog of someone who lived not far from where I am now and went through many of the same things...only one year before)

because this post is a year old I know you will probably never see this comment but thanks anyway!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home