Wednesday, August 31, 2005

A Vilag Megismerheto

On the way to equipping myself to teach, I have returned to the pencil store many times. Every time, my friend and I -- still no idea on her name -- talk in English.

Today I asked if she wanted to eat ice cream sometime. She said yes, tomorrow. So I either have a first date or a definite sign that I am clinging to anything that remotely resembles either the English language or friendship.

Neighbor Erika teaches history or geography or something and speaks a little English. I can use her washing machine, I think that is what she said during our recent conversation. She wrote down my address on a piece of paper, which is fairly precious to finally have:

JEWETT Jeremy
Deak Fer. Ut 4
3360 Heves
Hungary

Weekly Wednesday markets in Heves are spectacular. I bought a shoulder bag and a bedsheet to cut up and use for decoration on my walls. Considering both the market experience this morning and a walk toward the "ghetto" on the western edge of town last night, I am led to believe that I am in a country more closely resembling Mexico than Europe. Poverty of and discrimination towards this town's beleaguered gypsy population will be "interesting to observe." Commentary to come only after I have formulated an informed opinion.

School starts tomorrow with a day-long celebration.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home