Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Disclaimer of Sobriety

My parents -- and my sister -- have let me know that my parents are concerned about my sobriety, and no doubt sanity, here in Hungary. I would like to assure you, the casual reader, that I have a job that I go about during the week, and merely live like a Hungarian on the weekends. Just sampling the culture. When in Rome...

Yesterday and today in class have been fairy tale writing days for some of the kids. Certain that making fun of me is enjoyable for the kids, I encourage them to use me as a character. The curly hair usually makes it obvious who I am. Apparently the word "fairy tale" does not translate well into Hungarian, as I die in most of the drawings, eaten by a shark, monster or giant snake. Happy endings, it turns out, are rare in Hungary.

But my favorite was a set of six drawings, five of which showed me saving a beautiful damsel in distress by slaying the giant set of teeth that was poised to eat her whole. The final picture showed a bed, and the curly haired protagonist atop the damsel in distress. It looked pretty uncomfortable for her based off of the drawing, but the caption below read, "They had good night."

2 Comments:

At 3:22 PM, Blogger doobrie said...

I wish that somebody had told me about those travel sites before I went to Hungary.

Bloody useful!

Thank you!

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger jeremy said...

doobrie, i was wondering who you are! but thank you for the comments. it's nice to know someone's following along.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home