Thursday, September 15, 2005

Numbers of Note

7 and 8

Strangely enough, my favorite classes so far are the 7th and 8th graders. The are excited and eager to speak. They are willing to try to communicate, even if it comes at the risk of making a mistake. They loved attempting to describe pictures from my book of pictures today. The older group is reading letters written from my German students last year and will be writing back soon.

Zero

Number of students who know who Nikita Khrushchev is. I've tried to have some discussion on the topic of goals with my oldest students. I forget that I must teach interactivity to them, it's a largely foreign concept. But invariably, we turn to discussing Khrushchev, and not a single student has been able to identify or even recognize the name of the former Soviet premier. Hungary has certainly changed a lot in 15 years.

32

Number of CDs I own in Hungary. The song most commonly stuck in my head here? Sting and the Police, "Message in a Bottle." I must promise you that my current situation is less desperate than the song suggests, but there's something soothingly reassuring about singing "I'm sending an S.O.S. to the world" while walking down the streets of this city. First person to burn me a random CD with that song and others and send it to Hungary will be declared "Lifelong Winner."

271

Number of kids I teach. 59 in German, the rest in English. Wow.

1st

First venture on Hungarian buses this weekend, wish me luck. The road from Heves to Kalocsa goes through Budapest, so at least that is familiar territory. Paprika Festival in (cal-oh-cha) promises to be fun, with traditional Hungarian folk dancing and more good times with Americans Abroad.

2 Comments:

At 5:52 PM, Blogger Gaines said...

I hadn't thought about "Message in a Bottle" as a potential theme song for my life in Hungary. I've been more focused on the language barrier, and as such, the refrain that won't stop running through my head is The Animals' "Please Don't Let Me be Misunderstood." (Sample lyrics: "But I'm just a soul whose intentions are good/ Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood") I feel confident in its pertinence.

 
At 1:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jewett - Unrelated news: Nate Gerner is engaged.. Anyway, thanks for the nice blog of your events. Tell Rick Steves hi for all of us Herr Kohlhoff scholars. Keep the updates coming! RJ

Stammer-Gerner
Laurie Michelle Stammer and Nathan John Gerner of Sussex announce their engagement and plans for an Oct. 1 wedding.

Stammer is the daughter of Dennis and Mary Stammer of New Berlin. She graduated from University of Wisconsin-Green Bay with a Bachelor of Science in social work. She is a social worker at the Waukesha County Department of Health and Human Services.

Her fiancé graduated from University of Wisconsin-Madison with a Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering. He earned a master’s degree in electrical engineering from University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. He works as an electrical design engineer for RF Technologies. Gerner served his country as a medical supply sergeant in the Army in both Kuwait and Iraq as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom. His parents are Gary and Jean Gerner of Fond du Lac.

Picture at: http://www.wisinfo.com/thereporter/news/archive/rec_22388717.shtml

 

Post a Comment

<< Home