Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Teacher's Soccer League

Right after questions of age and marital status, the kids are quick to ask if I play soccer. Sometimes they ask if I like soccer. Sometimes they simply stammer "You…foot…ball…good…like…play?”

Regardless of structure, my answer is always the same. "No. Soccer is boring.” But there I was this afternoon, marching into the "sporthalle," set to join the Wednesday Afternoon Teacher’s Soccer League.

They kick the ball hard. Lesson learned.

I haven’t played soccer since I was seven, but I figure I can hold my own against middle-aged men in most activities. I even went in with the attitude that I would let them win, I figured it would be good for the Hungarian psyche -- they tend to lose in lots of things.

In large part, the plan worked. The strategy of "run around and attempt to kick the ball” worked fairly well. I resembled someone who thoroughly enjoyed the game of soccer, although it may have just been an act.

That thought was confirmed when I had to sit through watching the Hungarian national team play the Swedish squad on television after the match. The final score? 1-0, Sweden. We waited through 92 minutes of game time for that lone burst of excitement. Sweet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home