Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Snow!!!

Tuesday was Heves' first snowfall of the new winter!! Maybe even an inch of snow -- they use metric here, of course -- fell all morning long. And it was good, as the first snowfall always is.

Kids ran outside, just like they do back home, sliding on snow, throwing snowballs, building snowmen and laughing. Even facewashes. The kids are optimistic that the snow will "stick," but I think they simply do not understand me. A teacher says a warm front will melt the snow this weekend.

Winter and snow and ice and the like will be good through November and December, maybe even early January, but I'm worried about the effects of a lingering cold and dark winter on the psyche of American teachers stranded abroad. Of particular concern is that there is still one month more for the sun to set early and earlier every day before things start to reverse on December 21st!

Gitta avoided me today. She skipped my class. Today was her 18th birthday, so she missed out on the copy of Hatchet, peanut butter M&M bar and a Pez dispenser that I was going to give her.

And, of particular note, significant progress was almost made on the bicycle front! Headmaster Agi talked to me today (it had been about four weeks since she'd been in school) about a bike. I even got to see it outside. It's hot shit.

Now I will be able to bike to my non-girlfriend's city, to my non-friend's village, or to visit any of my non-acquaintances!! The possibilities are endless...

2 Comments:

At 4:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A hot shit bike will certainly expand your boundries to the outskirts of Heves and beyond.

You are not stranded; your are on an adventure.

 
At 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it a Harley?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home