Saturday, December 17, 2005

SZALAVAGATATAVAGATO

Okay, folks, that was AWESOME.

Last night, the champagne was in Russian. So I asked one of the teachers what it said. (They all, grudgingly, learned Russian here years ago). He said it means "change." I'm like, okay, that's a weird thing to name the champagne. Then he pronounced it. Per-e-stroy-ka. And I was like, dude, that's awesome! I know perestroika! I know Michael Gorbachev! This is awesome! I love perestroika!

So we continued to toast the graduating seniors. They call them school-leavers here. Then I was told, by the woman who is akin to my mother here, that I should hurry and go to the bar with all the students. She gave me explicit directions that I must do this, so I said okay. This is after the power went out, and the teachers sat in the teachers' office drinking around candle light.

It's not like we didn't earn this privilege. the school-leaving ribbon ceremony was long, and rather heavy on the Hungarian. I understood only the dancing to "tutti frutti." All the kiddies dressed up and danced. Some waltzing, some rock and roll, some salsaing.

So I went to the bar with the students. I played foosball! I was destroyed each time, I think because I picked students to be my partner. And I played "Otherside" and "It's my life!" on the jukebox, it was awesome. I must repeat that. It was awesome!

And the sun is out now!! It's kind of attacking me right now, but it's so awesome!

1 Comments:

At 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I missss youuu!!
I wish you could come back for Christmas.. or that i could go there for Christmas.. in fact for a whole day I thought i would be able to go for a few weeks in January.. but then semester finals ruined that :( I really miss you're story telling tactics. and i can't wait till I can hear first hand all the stories youve come up with this year.

Jenny

P.S. i recieved a text message today, it's in Hungarian and its not from a cell phone but from the internet.. could it have been from you by any chance. because i can't think of anyone that knows my cell # and would write in Hungarian

 

Post a Comment

<< Home