Saturday, December 03, 2005

Braving Another Weekend in Heves

Heves has hung up beautiful Christmas lights!

I think I should admit to being desperate when I assigned the children the task of finding a blind date for me. (The phrase translates, roughly into vak randi in Hungarian.) But alas, it's been something that's humored me for two years, on two continents, in two languages now.

For the most part, the kids were fairly generous. Just about all the ladies that they drew were in the right age-range, and all were wearing dresses. One young whipper-snapper decided that my date should come from "Cseranobol" (the Hungarian phonetic spelling of Chernobyl). She had nine eyes and four hairy legs.

The best though, was ninth-grader Barbara, a little blonde-haired sweetheart who's not too good at English. She drew a very lovely lady, and then set out to describe her in English. Everything was pretty good until she started to talk about my date's hobbies. "She likes cocking." Freudian slip?

I convinced Gitta to see Wedding Crashers Friday night. Apparently Heves is a cultural wasteland that fails to appreciate the brilliance of V. Vaughn, O. Wilson and W. Ferrell...we were the only people standing in the lobby to get in at 6:00.

We were given a choice, an ultimatum. We could go home unhappy, or we could buy four tickets. They've got a quorum of four in this neck of the woods. Really was there any choice in the matter? I gladly bought four 2-USD tickets to get in the door. (It was awesome, it really inspired me to change my lifestyle.)

And then I met the football-playing teachers back at school. For palinka. Lots of palinka. Maybe even too much palinka.

1 Comments:

At 5:01 AM, Blogger bmo said...

I was a huge fan of that movie. Glad you were able to finally see a movie in your lovely city.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home