Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Loving the Love

Yesterday was one of the greatest days in my existence. After walking home in the rain, so content in an excitement to begin to write, it suddenly got even better. Neighbor lady Erika handed me not a single Christmas card. Not two Christmas cards. Not three Christmas cards. Not even four Christmas cards.

Yesterday, I received five Christmas cards.

Unbelievable, simply heartwarming. I set the Heves city record for postage received in one day. And with apologies to the Carlsons and the Hinkleys and even my best friend Shawn, there was one card that stole the show:

A big white Noel card, with a bright red cardinals staring at me on the outside.

Inside, holiday greetings from the kids that had to sit through me learning how to become a German teacher last year. Ana, Emily, Natasha, all alive and well. Matt and Tony, as ridiculous as ever. Little Lindsey and Brittany and Kylie, now a little less little. Randi and Justin daring to write in German, a German I probably didn't teach them. Nicole and Floyd and Carley and Molly and Steph, just like the old days. Shawn reminded me of a story left unfinished, Kaythong arguing that German was no fun without stories. And Zsanett writing in Hungarian.

That's when I started to cry, that wonderful crying that comes complete with a shit-eating grin on your face when you know that life is far too wonderful, far too deeeeelighful to ever bemoan as much as we do in the moments when we forget.

(I did feel a bit guilty, too, because all fall my Hungarian children of all ages have been writing letters, in both English and German, to students back home. I have yet to send a single one across the Atlantic, but fully intend to before Christmas.)

I loved that moment. I love loving the moment you're in.

I celebrated with wine, as Hungarians do. I unplugged my tv, I have no urge to plug it back in until the Olympics begin. I finished the bottle, so I openned another. And I sat down on my bed, faced the large sheet of paper that lays next to me in companionship, and began to write.

4 Comments:

At 1:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, sorry Jewett, wish I was smart enough to remember you on my Christmas card list. Just know that I'm thinkin' of you =P I got a new Sport Coat from G-Dubb on Saturday, 100% Wool, woven in the British Isles. It is quality as hell. I busted it out today, and everyone loved it. The tradition remains even in your absense.

-Zach

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Gaines said...

I know exactly what you mean about crying out of joy- a notion that I'd thought of as cheesy and ridiculous before moving to Hungary. After the girls who live next door to me brought me a Christmas surprise for Saint Nicholas Day, I closed the door and bawled- in a good way. This country can be so simultaneously maddening and moving.

 
At 4:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hope you get many more joyous Christmas cards to decorate your walls!
(and our package!)
P.S. I promised everyone that'd you send them a card from Hungary!

 
At 6:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo Herr JJ...so I'm sitting here bored and finally came onto this site...I had no idea you cried over our card, Frau mentioned you appreciated it, but not that you cried. I'm glad we had as big an impact on you, as you had on us.

-Randi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home