Friday, April 28, 2006

Just Walking Down the Street

I ran into Zsofi today. She was my very first friend in Heves. From the pencil shop. We ate ice cream and I asked her questions. I clung to her English. I haven't seen her since.

It was good to see her. It was almost if Heves came full circle in that one moment. One American boy. Eight months in and out of a Hungarian village. I greeted her in Hungarian. I answered some of her questions in Hungarian.

She said I looked good, I looked happy. She was proud of the things I had learned. The words and the more important things, too. She was happy to hear that I had made friends.

It was almost as if Heves had come, in human form, to congratulate me. To say nice work, job well done, you have our permission to return home now.

Spring is wonderful here. Really, really good. After this weekend, just five more remain for me in Hungary. Wow. I try to make weekend plans, and all the last minutes hopes clog together. This weekend, though, it'll be backpacking with Thanksgiving Elli. Her first backpacking trip. Mine, too, at least in the Bukk National Park.

After finding so little time or motivation to write of late, I have so much to say. Just as the librarian is booting me it.

So it goes.

2 Comments:

At 4:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this entry makes me smile like only a mom can!

Job well done!

Life changing opportunity!

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Hey friend. I am back in the states. Let me just say that I spent a good three weeks complaining of increasing deafness, only to have it disappear again. I think my language processing brain corner was just on the fritz.

I met Kathryn of UW law school fame, and she says she knows you. Good lady, certainly a good find for my roommate.

Five weeks, eh? Be warned that it will go sickeningly fast. Do yourself a favor and schedule a few months' vacation upon your return; it makes transitions much smoother.

Still so good to hear the tales you spin.

Much love to you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home